Fall Swing Dance Weekend – November 11 & 12
The following post is an archive of a past event from 2017.
A weekend of workshops and dancing in the heart of the Willamette Valley.
Get ready for two days of dancing, learning, and fun with instructors from Portland and Eugene. Saturday’s dance will feature live music from Boy and Bean of Portland.
Our instructor line-up includes: Emily Ernst and Rod Young (Portland), Nika Jin and Nick Davis (Eugene), and Kali Henson and Austin Neverman (Portland).
For beginning, intermediate, and advanced dancers.
Saturday, November 11
- 10:45 a.m.: Doors open/ Warm-up at Odd Fellows Hall
- 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Lindy footwork and rhythm variations (Intermediate) with Nika and Nick:
Experiment with fitting unconventional footwork and new rhythms into shapes you already know.
- 12:10 p.m. – 1:10 p.m.: Slow Lindy (Intermediate) with Kali & Austin:
Test your dance fitness by slowing your roll, filling the void with smart movement choices, and grasping a deeper connection to your partner.
- 1:10 p.m. – 2:10 p.m.: Lunch Break
- 2:10 p.m. – 3:10 p.m.: Musicality (Beyond Beginner) with Kali & Austin:
This class will help you channel your creative energies in a way that better matches and responds to the music. Learn how to build the story of your dancing through a musical phrase.
- 3:20 p.m. – 4:20 p.m.: Solo Jazz (All levels) with Nika:
This class will cover traditional solo jazz movements, as well as styling options and tips on experimenting if you are more comfortable with the material.
- 7:00 – 8:00 p.m.: Drop-in beginner swing lesson
Sunday, November 12
- 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.: Beginning Balboa (Beginner) with Emily & Rod:
Learn the basics of connection and footwork, as well as the “come around,” ad libs, and paddles.
- 2:40 – 3:40 p.m.: Balboa-Swing (Beyond Beginner) with Emily & Rod:
Learn the basics of balboa-swing, including the send out, lollies, and crossovers.
- 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.: Afternoon Swing Dance with DJs Emily & Rod
Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St., Main Ballroom
An all-access pass includes all workshops and admission to both dances. Online registration is now closed, but passes will be available for $45 at the door.
A Saturday-only pass includes the daytime workshops and the evening dance. The cost is $30.
A Sunday-only pass includes both balboa workshops and the afternoon dance. The cost is $20.
A la carte
Want to take just one or two lessons? Ok! You can pay at the workshop. All lessons are $10 a la carte. Admission for Saturday’s live music dance is $10-15, sliding scale. Sunday’s dance is $5.
Workshop Level Descriptions
Beginner: No prerequisites.
Beyond beginner: You should have some experience with Charleston, 6-count swing, 8-count swing and/or Balboa.
Intermediate: You should be able to do a swing-out in Lindy hop.
All levels: No prerequisites. The content is geared toward multiple skill levels.