The following post is an archive of a past event from 2016.
A weekend of workshops and dancing in the heart of the Willamette Valley.
Get ready for a weekend of dancing, learning, and fun with national dance champions, Joshua McLaughlin and Emily Ernst. Saturday’s dance will feature live music from Jacob Miller and the Bridge City Crooners.
For beginning, intermediate, and advanced dancers.
Friday, November 18
- 7:45 p.m.: Doors open at OSU Women’s Building
- 8:00 – 9:00 p.m.: Beginning Balboa:
Learn the basics of footwork and connection, including moves like the come around and send-out.
- 9:10 – 10:10 p.m.: Beyond Beginning Balboa:
Expand on basic knowledge with variations, including the reverse pick-up, swivels, and modified send-out.
- 10:10 – 11:30 p.m.: Swing dance at OSU with DJ Emily Ernst
Saturday, November 19
- 9:30 a.m.: Doors open/ Warm-up at Odd Fellows Hall
- 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.: Introduction to Lindy hop (Beginning):
Learn the send-out, swing-out, and Lindy circle from scratch.
- 11:10 a.m. – 12:10 p.m.: Jazz Steps in Lindy (Beginning/Intermediate):
Incorporate jazz steps, such as fall of the log, Tackey Annie, and jig walks into your Lindy hop.
- 12:10 p.m. – 1:10 p.m.: Lunch Break
- 1:10 p.m. – 2:10 p.m.: Fluid Lindy (All levels/Intermediate):
Work on swing-out technique and timing to create more fluid movements.
- 2:20 p.m. – 3:20 p.m.: Lindy Variations (Intermediate):
Learn the double-walled ten-count swing-out and other variations.
- 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.: Slow Lindy (Intermediate):
Incorporate syncopated steps, fish tails, leg sweeps, and v-slides while dancing to slower tempos.
- 7:00 – 8:00 p.m.: Drop-in beginner swing lesson
- 8:00 – 11:00 p.m.: Downtown Swing Dance with live music from Jacob Miller and the Bridge City Crooners
Sunday, November 20
Friday: OSU Women’s Building, 160 SW 26th St
Saturday: Odd Fellows Hall, 223 SW 2nd St.
Sunday: Old World Deli, 341 SW 2nd St
An all-access pass includes all workshops and admission to both nighttime dances. The cost is $60.
A Friday-only pass includes both balboa workshops and the dance afterward. The cost is $25.
To make a reservation, visit: rsvp.corvallisswing.com
A la carte
Want to take just one or two lessons? Ok! You can pay at the workshop. All lessons are $12 a la carte. Admission for Saturday’s live music dance is $15. Friday’s dance at OSU is $5.